As conventionally configured, the Left & Right channels of a headphone amplifier drive the voice coils of the Left & Right driver. However, the return path for each channel is joined as one before returning to the amplifier’s common ground. This shared connection has some electrical resistance from the wire and various joints which can produce a common signal at the negative terminal of both driver coils. This will generate low level crosstalk and increase the distortion heard through the headphones. A balanced configuration does away with this common earth return.
Taking full advantage of the potential benefits that accrue from operating headphones through balanced drive, the HEADA sets new standards of performance for amplifiers of this type. The improved signal to noise ratio, dynamic range, slew rate and power delivery alongside the reduction in THD are tangible and all help headphones of the highest quality to deliver their best possible results. The unforced clarity & calm that has become a signature of Aurorasound electronics is again evident in the HEADA and brings even modest or conventionally wired headphones to life in an unexpected and charming way.
- 2 Inputs. 1 switchable Balanced XLR or Unbalanced RCA, 1 via unbalanced RCA.
- 3 Outputs. 2 Balanced; 1 via XLR L&R, 1 via 4 Pin XLR, 1 unbalanced via ¼” stereo jack.
- Utilising in house designed Class A amplifier modules using discrete FETs and transistors.
- Large format conductive plastic potentiometer assures precise channel balance at all levels.
- Low/High gain selector allows matching to headphones with any impedance or sensitivity.
- High power toroidal transformer and high speed regulated power supply.
- Substantial aluminium casework with real wood sleeve & isolation feet.
- Recommended Headphone impedance 16 Ohm – 600 Ohm.